Friday, June 25, 2010

Eli's bad luck

Ben has been working on the deck lately and it is about impossible to get anything done with all the "help" he gets from the kids.  This morning I told him that I could take the little ones somewhere this afternoon so he could get some work done. I should have never said that. I followed through with my end of the deal, but I didn't know when I said that I would be ending up in the hospital with Eli for some X-Rays.

Eli had been outside with Ben and watching him work. When Ben turned around for a split second, Eli took a nail and the palm nailer and ended up putting a nail through his hand. The palm nailer hooks up to the air compressor and pounds nails into places that is hard to get a hammer in. Typically, you set your nail on the wood and then put the nailer on there and it pounds real quickly. Eli had a nail in his hand, and must have put the nailer on it, which caused the nail to go right into his hand. It didn't go all the way through, but it was poking out the top right below the surface. 

We knew right away he needed to be seen by the doctor. I called out to the clinic and they said to bring him in. By the time I got across town, he had gone into shock. He was basically as white as a person can get and very lethargic. It was HORRIBLE! He was starting to vomit and his eyes were rolling back. He was just completely out of it. It took about 30 minutes to get him out of it. The nurses had ice on him and cold washcloths on his face. He just wasn't snapping out of it. That was way worse than the wound itself.

We ended up having to get an X-Ray to rule out any broken bones. Somehow, thankfully, the nail missed all the bones in his hand and nothing is broken. His hand is really swollen and bruised on top but he is playing just fine and has been using his hand. We are so thankful he didn't get hurt worse! Maybe now, he will listen a bit better when we tell him not to play with Daddy's tools. 

These are just pictures from my phone. He was so brave today when he had to have his x-ray. This first one was taken through the windows in the radiology dept., which is why it is such bad quality. 

3 comments:

Beckysblog said...

what a nightmare! so scary! Glad he is ok!

Kyra said...

Oh, Jenn. May this be the WORST of anything else to come from those 4 boys of yours!! Wild!

Unknown said...

I am so sorry "Little Man"! I hope your hand heals quickly! I LOVE YOU!