Monday, August 23, 2010

Evan Update

Last Spring we headed up to Mayo with Evan to get his blinking checked out. It was at that appointment that he was diagnosed with having a tic disorder. His blinks were very frequent and progressively getting worse. After I had Zeke and was home on maternity leave, Ben and I noticed that they had almost gone away. I was picking the kids up from school one afternoon and his teacher pulled me aside to mention that she hadn't noticed them. (It was her concern that validated our concern, which is how we ended up at Mayo...we thought it was just something that we were seeing but she brought it up at conferences and so we had it checked out). All summer, they were completely gone. We were all pretty happy!

About a month ago, we noticed that they were coming back. They are here and in full force. We were very disappointed, but also know that it is something that is probably going to come and go. It may get worse, it may get better, it may stay the same. He handles it well. He knows they are back and is disappointed too but he has a good attitude and good friends so he will be just fine.

2 comments:

KK said...

Such a mature boy to know and be able to handle it so well. I wonder if it pops up more when he's nervous or anxious? Starting school maybe had something to do with the reoccurance?

Happilyoutnumbered said...

That's what Ben and I wonder....or maybe when he is more tired. It "peaked" during wrestling season last year, but he was more active and we were up late when we would go to meets and stuff. Then things calmed down towards the end of the year, and it went away. This summer, we have had some late nights and he rarely sleeps in so I think he is more tired. Just when I think I have it figured out, something throws me for a loop!